In my mind, Sunday mornings are for one of two things: an exuberant brunch feast trying new ingredients and recipes, or a really simple but delicious dish which I can whip up in five minutes without much thought.
For the former, I recommend my fluffy sugar free pancakes with at least five toppings, but if you’re in the market for an effortless plate of goodness then this recipe is for you. I love to start a sleepy Sunday morning with brightly coloured food, particularly in the winter when the sun is still struggling to stream through the clouds and it’s a challenge to muster the energy to get out of my nice warm bed.
I’ve recently started buying organic veg boxes from Abel & Cole so each week I receive a box full of fresh goodies (quite like the surprise boxes in Masterchef!), some of which I’d never even heard of. Simple meals like this are perfect for trying new foods as you get to taste their pure flavour and hopefully discover some little-known gems – golden beetroot should have a big PR campaign, I wish I’d discovered it years ago!
The vegetables can be steamed first to speed up their cooking time, or you can roast them from raw and go back to bed whilst they cook if you’ve had a late night! You can use any vegetables you have in the house so it’s a fantastic recipe for a weekend ‘use up’ and the healthy fats and protein will give you a slow release of energy throughout the day, perfect for long country walks or a relaxed rest day. This version is low carb, Paleo, gluten free and dairy free but toast, English muffins or avocado are delicious additions.
The turmeric flavour in the eggs is quite mild, so add chilli or curry powder if you prefer to start your day with a kick, and simply swap the salmon for tofu or cherry tomatoes for a vegetarian option.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 800g vegetables (I used leeks, golden beetroot, cherry tomatoes & red peppers)
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 tsp grass fed butter (I use Kerrygold) or coconut oil
- Four to six free range eggs
- 3 tbsp milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 100g smoked salmon (trimmings are perfect)
- 1 tbsp ground golden linseed
- Wash and slice your vegetables, then toss them in the olive/coconut oil and roast at 190°c for 30 minutes.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked, melt the butter in a frying pan over a low heat.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and turmeric together in a small bowl, then stir in the salmon and pour into the pan.
- Slowly cook the eggs, stirring frequently to prevent them sticking.
- Spoon the eggs and vegetables onto two plates and sprinkle with the linseed before finding a sunny spot in the garden (or comfy sofa if the great British winter’s not playing ball!) to enjoy your breakfast.