Red velvet brownies, pancakes and smoothies are enjoying a huge renaissance, but sadly most are now made with red food colouring rather than natural, nutritious flavours. I wanted to create a true red velvet recipe, using ingredients which added deep flavours rather than just the classic red colour. The banana and coconut milks balance the beetroot’s bitterness whilst the hidden veg brings the fruit & veg count to 3.5 portions, creating a subtly nutritious start to your day.
This beautifully vibrant smoothie bowl is a really refreshing start to your day and is equally delicious as an evening sweet treat. I’m currently taking mine on the tube for an early morning pre-workout breakfast, but I can’t wait for long summer days so I can make a big bowlful to share with friends at lazy afternoon picnics – no need for supermarket ice lollies when you can enjoy the rich taste of real red velvet!
Ingredients (makes one large bowl):
- 1/2 banana (preferably frozen)
- 30g oats
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 cooked beetroot (about 60g)
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (I use The Organic Protein Company*’s pure whey in thinner, bottled smoothies and casein for a smoother, thicker texture when I have the luxury of a bowl!) – omit for a plantbased meal
- 150ml milk (Koko or unsweetened almond milk work well)
- 4 tbsp coconut milk (make your own by melting 15g creamed coconut in 40ml boiling water)
- 100g frozen berries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp Big Tree Farms cacao powder*
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, or PPB* for a low fat option
- Add all your ingredients to a Nutribullet or other blender and blend, blend, blend!
- Serve with lots of toppings: my favourites are cashew cream, coconut yoghurt, golden linseeds, Big Tree Farms cacao nibs* and macadamia nuts.