It’s been a little while since I last shared my go-to breakfasts, and with the mornings starting to look a little darker and colder a more exciting meal is sometimes needed as motivation to drag myself out of bed!
I try to have at least two savoury breakfasts a week to add some colourful variety and ensure I don’t get stuck in a “sweet start” rut. On rest days and weekends I love lingering over a hot meal, and on workdays when I’m out of my house before 6:30 a pre-prepared tupperware full of overnight protein zoats is my top choice. Follow me on Instagram @FitFoodEmma for more full recipes and comment below to tell me which meal ideas you’d like to see next!
- The Two Course Breakfast: Two slices of Schneider Brot rye toast, one topped with a poached egg and the other with cashew butter and berries.
- The One Minute Gourmet Breakfast: Rye toast with smoked salmon, cherry tomatoes, spinach and balsamic vinegar.
- The Golden Breakfast: Two whole eggs, scrambled with milk and smoked salmon trimmings. The smoked salmon poaches in the frying pan, creating a beautifully light and fluffy texture.
- The All-American: Two batches of my sugar free ultimate healthy pancakes (one plain, one chocolate flavour), drowned in a creamy PPB sauce and topped with homemade ultra-low sugar quick berry flax jam (the jam recipe is in my ebook).
- The British Classic: Grill one lean bacon loin steak and serve with crispy fried kale, a fried egg, rye toast and ketchup.
- The Mexican: Yes, you can eat salad for breakfast – just go easy on the breakfast burrito takeaways! I adapted Madeleine Shaw’s Mexican BBQ salad, adding grilled halloumi cheese and lots of protein-rich black beans to keep me full throughout the morning.
- The Smoothly Smug Breakfast: Because some days your DOMS are so bad that even raising a spoon feels like a second workout. Sip your your greens through a straw by blending Florette peppercress leaves with oats, chia seeds, protein powder and a little dried fruit for a refreshingly sweet post-workout refuel.
- The Traveller’s Breakfast: Ten minutes spent making a huge bowlful of overnight oats on a Sunday night means you can portion out your breakfasts and enjoy them on your commute, at your desk or even as the start to your holiday. Simply stirring oats, unsweetened Greek/Skyr yoghurt, vanilla extract and unsweetened almond milk together is a fantastic base, but my favourite is coconut ‘protein zoats’. Just combine 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup milk or water and 2 tbsp of grated courgette (zucchini to Americans – hence the ‘zoats’) and microwave for 40 seconds. Stir well and leave to cool, then stir in yoghurt, extra milk and 3 tbsp coconut milk and top with frozen berries.
- The Childhood Memories Breakfast: Reminisce about days spent scooping Peaches and cream sweets into pick & mix bags with these incredibly creamy, vegan overnight oats.
- The “Yes, I Want A 9am Chocolate Brownie” Breakfast: Forget Starbucks’ expensive, sugar-packed muffins and treat yourself to this beautiful bowl of goodness instead. Simply top your overnight oats or porridge with a crumbled chocolate Beltsander Brownie mug cake and cashew butter for a fabulously indulgent-tasting start to your day. Experiment with the brownie recipe by adding grated courgette and beetroot for a moist, red velvet taste or dark chocolate chips for a gooey texture, and microwave the batter in short bursts – I find 30 seconds is enough to completely cook my cake.