It’s no secret that I absolutely love nut butters. Cashew, almond (especially coconut almond), smooth peanut, crunchy, flavoured, triple nut… I adore them all.
I’ve been blending nut butters into sweet dishes and curries since I began cooking from scratch, but never in cold savoury dishes. So when Florette challenged me to create a salad dressing using Dijon mustard and rose petals, nut butter didn’t immediately spring to mind as the perfect balancing agent. After ruling out coconut milk (too sweet) and simple olive oil (too runny), I was skeptical about using cashews as the creamy dressing base but it only took one mouthful to convince me!
I poured the dressing over a simple mix of Florette’s baby spinach and rocket leaves, grated sweet potato and grilled chicken, adding pistachio ‘dust’ (ground pistachios) at the end for a little golden sparkle. If your salad has stronger flavours, try reducing the amount of mustard in the dressing to ensure its tanginess doesn’t overpower your key ingredients.
GOLD & PINK AUTUMN SALAD
Ingredients (serves one):
- 3 handfuls of Florette* baby spinach & rocket leaves
- 120g grilled chicken
- 150g sweet potato, grated
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee’s)
- 1 tsp rose petals
- 1 tsp ground pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp smooth cashew nut butter (I used MyProtein’s)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of black pepper
- Fry the sweet potato in coconut oil until just cooked.
- Arrange the leaves, chicken and sweet potato in a salad bowl or plate.
- Vigorously whisk the cashew butter, olive oil and mustard together until completely combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, then top with the rose petals, pistachios and a touch of black pepper.